Saturday, January 12, 2008

Yellow cake cuteness!


Yellow cake cuteness!, originally uploaded by ModernJune.

Once a week we have breakfast for dinner and our favorite is Yellow cakes. Yellow cake
is one of those crazy kid food names. They come up with them in passing but somehow the name sticks and that food will be forever called by the silly name.

As you can plainly see yellow cakes are good old fashion pancakes. I have always used a bit of whole wheat flour in our pancakes but I broke tradition when we were in real need for a new recipe. We were not feeling the love of the old on any longer. So on Thanksgiving morning last year we had a taste testing, I found two recipes from the Betty Crocker Cookbook that I was given at my bridal shower. We made a batch of each and then we voted on which one we liked best. Of course the whole wheat version lost out.

And now we have a new favorite pancake recipe.

Yellow Cakes


1 Egg
1 c All-purpose flour*
3/4 c Milk
1 tbs Sugar
2 tbs vegetable oil
3 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt

Beat egg with hand beater until fluffy; beat in
remaining ingredients just until smooth. For thinner
pancakes, stir in additional 1/4 cup milk. Grease
heated griddle if necessary. (To test griddle sprinkle
with few drops water. If bubbles skitter around, heat
is just right.)

For each pancake, pour about 3 tbs. batter from tip of
large spoon or from pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook
pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and
cook other sides until golden brown. Nine 4-inch
pancakes; 100 calories per pancake.

In my words... mix it all up through it on the griddle and cook em up!

Whole Wheat Pancakes: Substitute 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour for
1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour and packed brown sugar for the
granulated sugar. ( I like this better my self but I was out voted! I seek them in every now and again! )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your girl looks so much like you that for a moment I thought that was you in the pic! She's such a cutie!

Kelly McCants said...

Isn't is funny how these little ones look so much like us sometimes. your sweet!

come to my house and play with us SOON!