What I really love about my week-on-a-door is that when life changes, it changes easily. Last week it became all-too-clear that our co-ops had to end. My sweet little boy is just too challenged with life to handle that much "group learning" with grace. My children both have a sensory integration issues that can make participating in large groups a challenge. This is why we really homeschool.
I write all this because I have received kudos from Suzanne over at Let's Talk Organizing. Wow, such nice words from someone that I really respect! I love that! The internet is really making the world a small town!
So, what IS going one here? I'm sure that this looks like complete chaos. But, there really is a good system at work here. For me it is fantastic, and I will tell you why.
First, I broke it all down to the "5 work/school days" per week. I hope one day to be so organized that I will figure out a good rhythm for our weekends, but that time is just not now (besides, that is Don's job). My goal, is that I can get enough done during the week that I do not have to work on Sunday, and we can have a family day. One step at a time... right?
Second, I broke down the day into "jobs." I need to know what hat am I wearing, and when. I have 3 jobs: School teacher, housewife, and craft diva. And, within all of that I need to love on myself and date my hubby! That's a tall order!
To manage ALL of this, I am using the beloved invention known as the post it note! (I hope the two guys that thought this up are living on easy street!) For these "jobs" I am using different colors.
Here's the low down...
- Light Pink is for me time! Workouts, Weight Watchers ( I start tomorrow!), and personal time! Every morning I do something for me!
- Orange is for meals. I don't get too crazy here, all I have done is make a theme for each night. Monday, Italian; Tuesday, breakfast for dinner; Wednesday, Asian; Thursday Mexican; Friday, pizza. This just gives me a little bit of structure. I used to try and do a meal plan but that was just not something that I would follow for more that a day or two. If that!
- Light Yellow is for chores. Home blessing if you are in the Fly Lady court. Call it what you want but this is really important when you school, work and live in your house 24/7. Nothing makes it harder to get creative than a really dirty house. But don't get me wrong I am NO neat freak! Right Don?
- Bright Yellow is for homeschool email. This can be a lot of emailing so I really needed to separate it from Modern June. I also answer my baby sitting co-op email and personal email here too. These two are not significant at all so it works well along side the school stuff.
- Bright Pink is for "at home" homeschool. The work that we do with in our home, just the three of us. On these lined post its I have written out what I want to accomplish on each given day. I also have set times for projects.
- Coral Pink is for "away from home" homeschool. This color post it shows all the classes, coops and clubs. I also want to fit in some of the organized park days that Richmond Area Homeschoolers hosts about town.
- Lavender and Light Blue post it's are for the kids individual classes. Maddie is Lavender so she has a note for her serious drawing class. And Aidan has a blue note for his pottery class.
- Teal is for Modern June stitching and cutting time. I found the lined notes in the Target clearance bins. I love to shop for office and school stuff mid September when it is all marked way down! Any how, these are great of list making. I write down what orders I need to fill and what things I need to make here. This is so much better than the hidden list in the notebook! I used to waste loads of time making these lists and never looking at them.
- Bright Neon Green tells me when to do my Modern June computer stuff. This is when I need to blog, attend to Modern June email and to do add to my Etsy site.
- Medium Green is when I work on Modern June away from home. I have two days when I can go shopping. I have been wasting a lot of my best work day Saturday running errands, picking up thread, fabric and such. I really needed to add this in! This should really help me out a lot! I also have two days when I can do hand work while I wait on kids to get out of classes!
- Dark Yellow tells me when to go grocery shopping. No more excuses for running out of food because I am just to darn busy to run to the GROC. I think this should help our budget too. It costs a lot to be unprepared!
So do you think I am psycho? I know for some folks this is over the top. But hey, it works for me! I am proud to finally be getting it together! I think that this time I really have some tools that will work for me! I think this system will be one I can stick to! (I could not resist the pun)