Ok I have been having my regularly scheduled pre-school pity party. The pity party where I say things like "I never wanted to homeschool" and "But, I feel so trapped" and "I have not other options". It took me a few days to realize that I do this every freaking year! Poor Don!
All my non-homeschool Momma friends are gearing up for what seems like a dream like existence. 6.75 hours all by themselves, 5 days a week. Wow! Do you know what I would do with that amount of time? I daydream about it often. I used to say that I would work out and be so wonderfully fit, as I spent my mornings at the gym. Then, I would met my girlfriends for coffee, and go home and be crafty! I would listen to music, my loud indy rock, my sad, sappy girl music, my show tunes, and yes, my beloved Beyonce! Oh don't judge me! I like to shake my money maker! Much to the DISMAY of my embarrassed children!
But I don't think any one knows what the perks are to Homeschooling!
- If something is not working you can stop and evaluate, and change any little thing that needs tweaking
- You have ultimate control of your life and the education of your children.
- You get to have lots of P.J. days. Don't feel like getting dressed on those rainy days? You don't have too if you are teaching a child to read on the sofa in your living room.
- No getting sleepy kids out of bed in the wee hours of the morning to get them out the door. That is my favorite!
- Want to go to the movies late one night? Have people over for dinner in the middle of the week? No problem the kids don't have to get up early to go to school.
- You don't have to worry that your "normal" does not match the status quo!
- You can take a vacation any ol' time you want.
- Math program not working out? Hell, just switch it! No biggie.
- Child not reading at the prescribed age? Big deal. It will come in time. Though, this is my least favorite, this takes trust, and that can be hard to come by.
- And socialization... I need not worry about that. Staying home and doing math -- that is what I need more of.