Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Christmas Table

Hi all, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that Santa was good to you! I wanted to share my holiday table with you (no, the photo above is not it). For DAYS I let this photo linger in my email--I had it open on it's own page, back behind everything, so I could think on it both consciously and subconsciously. What I love about the photo is the linen--tablecloth (or fabric) is to die for! I'm a sucker for candy stripes.

As we went out doing our last minute shopping, I looked everywhere for a great new tablecloth. Yeah, I know I make tablecloths but not like the one in the picture, plus I used all the red lace oilcloth on my orders so my original idea went right out the window.


I borrowed a lovely white linen tablecloth from my MIL but it was way too short, not to mention oval. So, at the last minute I simply cut a length of the red oilcloth polka dots, the only red and white oilcloth I had left, (the tree skirts were very popular). I curved off the corners to make it look less thrown together. I would have loved to have made a proper Oilcloth Tablecloth, but at 6 PM on the Eve of Christmas you got to do what you got to do! I layered the table with some inexpensive ribbon that I picked up at the craft store earlier this week--I picked it with the "Martha" table in mind. I had planned to layer the ribbon with some grosgrain dots and stripes--that would have really brought in those candy stripes, but unfortunately, I didn't have enough on hand! URG, maybe next year!!!


The place cards turned out nicely. Maddie and I made Martha's ribbon candy ornaments to use as place card stands. This also fulfilled our annual "make a handmade ornament" tradition, everyone got to take one home! Don whipped out a super cute name tag for us, and we were set!


Check out these cool red glass trees, my daughter got them for me for Christmas--she found them at our neighborhood's new up-scale thrift store (name and link coming later). Everyone loves them, they aren't vintage but who can tell, right?

In hindsight I wish I had looked at the photo one more time, I would have gathered all my pillar candles and adorned them with the left over ribbon--I'll have to whip those up for the Richmond Craft Mafia Holiday Party that is coming up on New Years Day. I'm doing that right now! It's still so pretty, why not keep going, right?

I hope you all had a lovely holiday. If you have photos of your holiday feast please share a link with us in the comment section!

Merry Christmas and lots of love, Kelly

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I think your table looks great. I'm in the Richmond area and I'd love to know the name of the new thrift store you're referring to. I'm always on the hunt for a new one to add to my rotation. Thanks!

Kelly McCants said...

Hi Kathryn,

We have no idea what the name is, it is on Bellevue and Brook close to the CVS, North Side Grill and Nicola Floral.

My family says the lady is super nice, she opened up the store when she saw them looking in the window. Sweet!

Kathryn said...

Thanks so much for the answer. I'll have to give it a try.