Monday, July 26, 2010

First Day of School!

Do you want to know the best thing about homeschooling? Flexibility! Yep, one word and one word only! The best thing about homeschooling has got to be the flexibility that is gives our family. When we had major learning issues to sort out we could take the time to do so, with out harsh tests and deadlines. When the spring fever hits we can take off and hang out at Maymont all day. When is snows we can still do school, if we choose too. 

Today with out spending a fortune on brand new school supplies and new closes I begin a new year with my daughter. SEVENTH GRADE! OMG, how is that possible. I remember every single day of 7th grade;  the good, the bad, and the ugly.  The dorky (but cool) white overall's, wearing green on Wednesday (let's not go there) and my first kiss at my locker during my first dance. We are SSOOOOOO not going there are we?

OK, lets get back to flexibility, shall we?  We're starting school early so we can take a nice long family vacation in September and so that I can take off for week and go to the Country Living show. We have the flexibility to do school when it's best for us and not the DOE. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not our thing!

I can't help but wonder what my kids will think about this non-traditional approach to life when they grow to be adults. Will the do a 180 and be completely conventional?  Will they work for themselves so they can write their own schedule? Will they homeschool their kids?  Who knows? For now most of us are happy to do school our way.

Happy first day of school to us! 








1 comment:

Jana said...

Yeah for homeschooling!
Jana